Traveling to a foreign country is an exciting experience, but it also requires careful planning and preparation. For Indian citizens planning to visit Vietnam in 2023, obtaining a visa should be one of the top priorities. Vietnam has become a popular tourist destination for Indians due to its beautiful landscapes, rich culture, delicious cuisine, and affordable travel costs. In this article, we will discuss the process of obtaining a Vietnam visa for Indians in 2023.
Table of Contents
Overview of Vietnam Visas for Indians
There are several types of visas available for Indian citizens looking to travel to Vietnam:
- Tourist Visa – For tourism and sightseeing purposes. Valid for 30 days and can be extended.
- Business Visa – For business trips, meetings, conferences etc. Valid for 3 months and can be extended.
- E-Visa – An online visa that can be used for both tourism and business. Valid for 30 days.
- Visa on Arrival – For those who need to travel urgently. Must apply for pre-approval letter before arrival.
The visa requirements and application process vary slightly depending on which type you apply for. However, all visas require a valid passport, completed application form, passport photos, and various fees.
Who Needs a Vietnam Visa?
All Indian citizens traveling to Vietnam need a valid visa in order to enter the country. The only exception is for Indians traveling to Vietnam’s Phu Quoc resort island – they can visit without a visa for up to 30 days.
So whether you’re planning a two-week vacation or a short business trip, you’ll need to obtain a visa before arriving in Vietnam. Attempting to enter without one will result in denied entry.
How to Apply for a Vietnam Visa as an Indian
Tourist and Business Visas
The easiest way to apply for a tourist or business visa is through the Vietnamese Embassy in India. You will need to submit your application in person along with all required documents such as passport, photos, and fees. Processing time is around 5 business days.
Alternatively, you can use an online visa service provider to handle the application process for you. They will submit the application to the embassy on your behalf and have it couriered back to you once approved. This costs more but is very convenient.
Vietnam offers an electronic visa (e-visa) program which allows visitors to apply online and receive visa approval via email. E-visas are valid for 30 days and can be used for tourism or business.
To apply, visit the official Vietnam Immigration Department website. You will need to complete the online form and upload supporting documents. Approval is generally received within 3 working days.
Visa on Arrival
This method involves obtaining pre-approval from a Vietnamese travel agency, who will provide you with an approval letter. You present this letter at immigration control when you arrive at major airports in Vietnam to receive your visa.
Visas issued on arrival are valid for 30 days. Be aware that this method comes with some uncertainties, so it’s best for those who need to travel urgently and don’t have time to apply in advance.
Vietnam Visa Requirements for Indian Citizens
All visa applicants from India must meet the following requirements:
- Valid passport – Must have at least 6 months validity remaining
- Completed application form – Forms can be downloaded online
- Passport photos – 2 photos, 4cm x 6cm, no glasses or headwear
- Visa fees – Varies by visa type, usually around $25 – $135 USD
- Return ticket – Proof of onward or return travel
- Hotel bookings – Confirmed hotel reservations for duration of stay
- Bank statement – Showing proof of sufficient funds
- Employment letter – For business visas, a letter from your employer
- Additional documents – Certain visa types may require extra documents
Be sure to check the specific requirements for the visa type you are applying for. Having all documents ready will help avoid delays in processing your visa application.
Comparing Vietnam Visa Types for Indians
Here is a helpful comparison of the main visa types available to Indian passport holders:
|Visa Type||Validity||Extendable||Processing Time||Use|
|Tourist Visa||30 days||Yes, once||5 business days||Tourism leisure|
|Business Visa||3 months||Yes||5 business days||Business activities|
|E-Visa||30 days||No||3 working days||Tourism or business|
|Visa on Arrival||30 days||No||Instant upon arrival||Urgent travel|
As you can see, tourist and business visas offer the most flexibility with their 1-month and 3-month validity respectively. They also allow applicants to extend their stay once in Vietnam.
E-visas provide a quick online application process but do not allow extensions. Visas on arrival are the quickest option but also cannot be extended and require pre-approval.
Tips for urgently getting a Vietnam eVisa from India in 2023:
- Start the process early. The Vietnam eVisa application process can take up to 3 business days to complete, so it is important to start the process as early as possible, especially if you are traveling on short notice.
- Make sure you have all the required documentation. The required documentation for a Vietnam eVisa includes a passport-sized photo, a scanned copy of your passport, and a valid credit or debit card. You may also need to provide additional documentation, such as a proof of onward travel or a letter of invitation, depending on your nationality and purpose of travel.
- Pay the eVisa fee online. The eVisa fee for Indians is $25 USD. You can pay the fee online using a credit or debit card.
- Submit your application online. You can submit your eVisa application online through the Vietnam Immigration Department website.
- Check the status of your application regularly. You can check the status of your eVisa application online through the Vietnam Immigration Department website. Once your application is approved, you will receive an email notification with your eVisa.
- Print out your eVisa and bring it with you when you travel. You will need to present your eVisa to immigration officials upon arrival in Vietnam.
Here are some additional tips for urgently getting a Vietnam eVisa from India:
- Use a visa expediting service. There are a number of visa expediting services that can help you get your Vietnam eVisa faster. These services typically charge an additional fee, but they can be worth it if you are in a hurry.
- Contact the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in India. If you are unable to get your eVisa online, you can contact the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in India for assistance.
- Be prepared to provide additional documentation. If you are applying for an urgent eVisa, you may be asked to provide additional documentation, such as a proof of urgency or a letter of recommendation.
Please note that it is not always possible to get a Vietnam eVisa urgently. If you are traveling on very short notice, you may need to consider applying for a traditional visa at the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in India.
Frequently Asked Questions About Vietnam Visas for Indians
Here are answers to some commonly asked questions about getting a Vietnam visa as an Indian citizen:
Q: How long does it take to get a Vietnam visa as an Indian citizen?
A: Regular tourist and business visa applications take around 5 business days to process if applying directly through the Vietnamese embassy. E-visas are faster, taking just 3 working days for approval. Visas on arrival are instant.
Q: Can I get a visa on arrival?
A: Yes, but you must first get pre-approval from a travel agent and present the approval letter upon arrival to get your visa issued. Not recommended for first-time travelers.
Q: Do I need to show proof of hotel bookings and return tickets?
A: Yes, having confirmed hotel reservations and return/onward tickets is required as part of the visa application for Indians.
Q: Can I extend my visa once I’m in Vietnam?
A: Tourist and business visas can be extended once by applying through local immigration authorities in Vietnam. E-visas and visas on arrival cannot be extended.
Q: Is there an e-visa or visa on arrival for Phu Quoc island?
A: No, you must obtain a full tourist or business visa in advance to visit Phu Quoc as an Indian. The 30-day visa exemption does not apply.
Q: Can I work in Vietnam on a tourist or business visa?
A: No, engaging in paid employment in Vietnam requires a work permit and appropriate work visa. Tourist/business visas do not allow working.
Carefully following Vietnam’s visa rules and requirements will ensure Indian citizens have a smooth entry experience and enjoyable visit in this amazing country.
Obtaining a valid visa is essential for Indian citizens looking to travel to Vietnam for either tourism or business purposes. By understanding the different types of visas available, completing the application steps well in advance, and meeting all requirements, Indians can avoid headaches and look forward to an incredible adventure in Vietnam. A little preparation goes a long way towards ensuring a smooth visa application process.